Kitui governor Charity Ngilu has claimed that the government will now take the renovation project of the killer bridge at Enziu River, Mwingi seriously.
Speaking in an interview with citizen TV, Ngilu said that the plans of the renovating the bridge have already began.
“I do believe that the government is going to take more serious action and make sure that the bridge is not a death trap. I know it will be done. The national government is already in it,” she stated.
The governor said that her county government is not in charge of renovating the bridge, a project that commenced 2019 but is yet to be completed.
“That work had already been contracted some few years back and the contractor did a shoddy job and left. This is the work of the Kenya Rural Roads Authority. The county government deals with the local village-to-village connection roads, we do not deal with major roads like this one,” Ngilu said.
She however said that the county and national governments will support families of those who perished on Saturday at Enziu River in funeral arrangements.
According to Ngilu, the Ministry of Interior, through the National Disaster Management Authority is in charge of helping the families lay their loved ones to rest.
“The national government, the Ministry of Interior through the National Disaster Management Authority are going to support all the families involved in the accident individually. We as a county are also going to support the families that lost their loved ones,” Ngilu said in an interview with Citizen TV.
33 people including minors lost their lives on Saturday after the bus they were travelling in plunged into the river. 12 others survived the life threatening ordeal.